Glorious summer is here and doesn’t Charles Bowden say it best, “Summertime is always the best of what might be.” You’ve probably been out of school for some years now, but there’s just something about summer that makes us feel like our true selves. It’s time for adventures, vacations, beach days, lazy days reading, running through the sprinklers, July 4th, and barbeques. It’s important to enjoy all these things, so now is the time to get a jumpstart on prepping your home for a season of fun!
1. Check your irrigation system. Make sure that it’s running properly and at the correct times of the day. Test run your system to check for broken and missing parts and replace them before the season really kicks in. And don’t forget the hoses, make sure they’re not split and leaking.
2. It’s time to put the storm doors away and bring out the screen doors. You’ll want to be sure that your screens don’t have any holes in them and then sit back and enjoy the summer breezes.
3. Change your furnace filter and have your air-conditioning system checked before the heat sets in.
4. Clean your ceiling fans before the dust that’s accumulated over the winter goes flying around your room. Here’s an easy and effective way to clean your fans.
5. Clean your gutter and downspouts. So they’re ready for the occasional summer downpour, remove any tree blossoms that collected during the spring.
6. Wash your windows inside and out and let the summer sun shine through.
7. Schedule your outdoor projects. Wash your porches, decks and patios. Or it may be time for a new patio or deck, or even repairs, painting and sealing. If you’re not a DIY’er, now is the time to schedule the work with your local contractor.
8. Give your home a boost with exterior paint touch-ups, inspections for loose or rotting siding, and a wash. You can easily remove the winter’s dirt and grim with power washing.
9. Inspect your attic and basement for pests, insects, leaks, mildew or mold.
10. Inspect your fence. Check for missing, broke, or rotted pieces and replace them. You may also want to consider painting or staining your fence. Not only will this enhance the look of your fence but will prolong it’s life as well.
11. Give your home interior a thorough once-over. Check for lights that may need to be replaced, clean the behind the refrigerator and it’s coils, and your range hood, stove top and oven. Check your showerheads for mineral deposits or leaks. Clean out the sink drains in your bathrooms and kitchen. Clean the baseboards and window blinds/coverings, wash the curtains. Clean behind and under beds and furniture.
If there are projects that you’ve put off until summer, it’s now the perfect time to schedule those projects. Popular projects for the summer include:
· Replacing front doors
· Deck builds or extensions
· Replacing or refinishing flooring
· New roofing
· Painting your home’s exterior & interior
Many of the projects listed above are easily done over the weekend, but for the more complicated projects contact us at 302.312.6051, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. B.L. Ward & Associates is here to help you keep your home your best and proudest investment.